A Lisa Loucks-Christenson Documentary RSS
Winter Bugs Exhibit Edition
Photographer: Lisa Loucks-Christenson
Author: Lisa Loucks-Christenson
Series: Stories from the Whitewater Valley, Minnesota™
Format: e-book (ask about our other editions, and online or in-person school program, as well as corporate events)
Genre: Non-fiction; natural history; entomology
Winter Bugs Exhibit Edition is an insect documentary recorded during one winter season in a Minnesota ghost town (the former town of Beaver, Minnesota), and currently a state-owned and managed wildlife refuge. It is a mini documentary that takes place inside the author’s Walk the Burn documentary, having been dually recorded in the same location.
Number one international best-selling and award-winning author, photographer, and illustrator Lisa Loucks-Christenson shares her personal observations of Minnesota’s smallest and most overlooked species. This photo collection shows these insects as they plow through the snow using four, six or eight legs (if the seasons hasn’t been too hard on them, and they are lucky enough to retain the number of appendages they were either born with or they eventually developed). Lisa’s photos are the voice and record of a survival story like no other. The photos capture insects while they endure every possible weather pattern, sit next to predators that don’t eat them, and find shelter from rain, sleet, snow, and wind.
Winter Bugs Exhibit Edition reveals the journey of more than 200 lives who shared a brief encounter with the author as she discovered their winter abodes and crossed their paths while lying on the ice and shooting through it. These journeys took the author into the open water to discover faces under the surface of those who looked up or swam by while she was there. These are the experiences of a professional female outdoor photographer who drove every day, through blizzards, sleet storms, and ice-coated roads, never missing a day, so she could capture this story from the start of winter to the exact beginning of spring.
These are not just any images: this collection has already inspired others to look for their own “Winter Bugs,” and has opened the eyes of people of all ages, giving them an opportunity to see up close what is seemingly impossible to see (especially when the weather drops below -30 degrees Fahrenheit). Now, you too can be a Winter Bugs Exhibit Edition eyewitness to the lives that carried on, no matter their circumstances, no matter the troubles they faced, while the author collected the smallest of stories ever told (in one season, anyway).
Lisa Loucks-Christenson recorded over 200 active species while they travelled, sat, or hid; on land, in trees, under hanging leaves, or in water. This is a collection like no other, because it also includes spiders, caterpillars, one-celled organisms, and ants, as well as insects in various life stages, from nymph to full adults. All of these images were recorded with two cameras in hand, and often with the author’s lens reversed to capture the finest details of her tiny subjects. Every photo included in this documentary is a true wildlife image: none were posed or handled or shot in any type of controlled environment. These photos were shot in the field, using tinfoil to reflect light, flashlights to give depth, and any other means required to capture the free-roaming subjects in the short seconds available.
Together with Lisa’s Bald Eagle documentary, the Winter Bugs exhibit and the Winter Bugs! First Edition book ran for over two years as featured exhibits at the National Eagle Center in Wabasha, Minnesota. In addition to reviews in regional newspapers and magazines, the book, Winter Bugs! First Edition, and the exhibit’s opening also aired on the regional television news. The exhibit also comes up from time to time on podcasts and outdoor shows to which the author is invited as a guest.
Winter Bugs Exhibit Edition contains almost every image from the original exhibit, but also includes images of events within the exhibit.
Photo Trader™ cards, loose or matted images, art cards, tote bags, shirts, and other merchandise are available for purchase. The Winter Bugs exhibit will soon be an online program for schools, nursing homes, educational centers, and nature clubs. The author continues to offer classroom programs that entertain school groups, senior citizens, and people from all over the world who visit her bookstores and galleries, Silver Lake Books and Peacock Books & Wildlife Art.
Pre-order a copy today. You won't be charged until we call and verify your order .
- "Where's Your Daddy?"
- #1 international Best-seller
- 3M Please send 3x3 Post-it notes!
- A Beaver - Minnesota story
- a duck that inspired others
- A Lisa Loucks-Christenson Documentary
- a message of hope
- A real wolf led the author to this story
- Adventures of the Courtly Cottontails.
- and a letter meant for 21-year-old Karlene Davenport's great
- Bad cops
- Book 1
- Book 2
- Book 3
- Book 4
- Book 5
- Bow Wow Detectives trailer
- Bow Wow Detectives®
- bullet shell casings put in front of my stops
- car driver that tried to hit me was now at my house
- Christmas Day 2005
- Completing the 10/22/2021 illustration puts me at #17
- Courtly Cottontails
- Cover Reveal Ashton Ghost Town Wolves
- Cover Reveal: Ashton Ghost Town Wolves by #1 Bestselling Supernatural Wolves Author L.L. Christenson A slip in time opens at exactly the wrong time
- Cover Reveal: Dantos Valley Wolves™ Series by L.L. Christenson
- CoyWolf Entertainment™
- cut-off letters
- Dantos Valley Wolves™
- Documentary in Winona County
- Documentary of a Muscovy Duck
- Don't Eat Bees! #1 Best-selling book
- Don't Eat Bees!™ brand
- Double 2020 Royal Dragonfly Book Award for Don't Eat Bees! by Lisa Loucks-Christenson
- Driver of the yellow car that tried to hit me on the highway
- Episode One
- Episode Two
- Eron & Eve with Tok & Terno In: After the Fall Came You
- Escape from the Haunted Carnival part two
- Finding "Ben"
- Finding "Ben" Series
- Ghost Town Wolves series
- good old boy clubs
- great grandmother is mistakenly given to
- Gross negligence
- Hallowink Hollow by Lisa Loucks-Christenson
- Hallowink Hollow Series
- Hallowink Hollow Series by Lisa Loucks-Christenson
- Hallowink Hollow Series by Lisa Loucks-Chrsitenson
- Hapless Harry's future looked short
- House Intruder
- How to become the Town Joke in one season
- How to find everything you don't want to in the Minnesota Woods
- How to get stalked in 15 minutes
- How to not die too young
- illegal activities
- Impostor Conservation Officer
- Infringement on Lisa's Don't Eat Bees! book
- It's Day One of Inktober.
- L.L. Christenson
- Lisa "Doe"
- Lisa Loucks-Christenson
- Lisa Loucks-Christenson documentary
- Lisa Loucks-Christenson's
- Lisa Loucks-Christenson's Award-winning Don't Eat Bees! book
- Lisa Loucks-Christenson's Comic
- Man sneaked up behind the author in the woods
- Maybe you've felt the presence of rain
- Merchandise for Winter Bugs Exhibit
- Minnesota crime
- Minnesota Ghost Town Wolves series
- Minnesota true crime
- Minnesota's Blue Code of Silence
- My new address: C/O Heaven
- Myris & Sloan In: Lights in the Library
- Narrative Non-fiction
- Nielan & Tess In: Night Talker
- October 2004
- Olmsted County Sheriff's Department
- Online School Program: Winter Bugs Exhibit Edition
- personalized books
- Pre-order Winter Bugs Exhibit Edition
- razor blades in tires
- Release date: 10/31/2021
- Return to Cabin 7 Announced
- Rochester Minnesota Police
- S15-17 Caption: "I love the taste of rain!"
- Sequel to The Hallowink's in the Haunted Carnival - Vol. 4 - 2020 Inktober book
- Series by L.L. Christenson
- Sold at Peacock Books & Wildlife Art
- Sold at Silver Lake Books
- Sold exclusively at Peacock Books and Silver Lake Books
- Steamboat Lake-Northern Minnesota
- Stories from the Whitewater Valley
- Story Antics®
- Subsidiary licensing opportunities exist for Winter Bugs Exhibit Ediition
- The Blue Code of Silence
- the Courtly Cottontails warren
- The Hallowink's in Escape from the Haunted Carnival
- The Old Man & His Dream
- The yellow car driver was now in front of my house
- True Crime in Winona County
- True Crime Story
- True story of a Muscovy Duck
- Trust God
- Vol. 5
- Vote for Lisa Loucks-Christenson's Valentine in Ague and Fever illustration from her Museum Monday! book
- Walk the Burn
- WALK THE BURN by LIsa Loucks-Christenson is #1 in Environmental & Natural Resources Law on Amazon New Releases
- Walk The Burn is #1 in Environmental & Natural Resources Law on Amazon Hot New Release
- Walker and Winona In: Windfall
- When a meteor shower hits
- Winona Country Sheriff's Department
- Winter 2023
- Winter Bugs Exhibit
- ©2021 Lisa Loucks-Christenson All Rights Reserved. Illustration S15-17 Adventures of the Courtly Cottontails.